Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spinal Nerve Chart Fun

One of my favorite parts of yoga teacher training and studying yoga in general is learning about the spine.  Recently I came across a chart that I had from training that was a diagram of the spine and the spinal nerve functions.  I was so happy to find it again because I remember thinking how amazing it was, and since I've been visiting the chiropractor a lot lately, it's a timely find.  I'm not at a place in my studies where I can even begin to try to explain how the spine or the nervous system works;  I trust that you are smart enough to google it on your own if you want to study it!  But I would like to share this amazing chart that shows how the spinal nerves correspond to the vertebrae of the spine and which areas of the body are effected if there is a problem within the spinal column in that area.  In other words, it's like a wiring diagram of the nervous system.

What was most interesting to me is that the areas that I have been having issues with over the last 4 months or so, the thyroid, right shoulder and wrists are all areas that are related proximally within the spine.  For me it's C6, C7 and T1.  And, something I haven't gone into detail on in this blog yet, is I also know that I have Mitral Valve Prolopse, a very common heart valve abnormality that is really no big cause for worry.  But, what is interesting to me, is that T2 corresponds to the heart.  They are all 4 in a row.  I'm not having any problems with other areas of my body currently, such as my stomach or kidneys or eyes...

I could look at this thing for hours.  If you google "spinal nerve chart" you can find one on your own.  Some chiropractor's websites have animated charts that you can click on to find out more specific info per body part, some are more intense, some more simple.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. How can yoga help? I have trouble with the cervical area at the base of my skull does not stay in place. Very painful at times. Headaches, bad allergies and eyesight is fading.

    ReplyDelete